Knowing what to charge for freelance copywriting services is the key to keeping busy, winning more jobs, and earning a six-figure income.
Now you can find out exactly what to charge for a sales letter ... landing page ... magalog ... white paper ... web site ... and dozens of other copywriting assignments - and how many words you have to write for each....
"How much do you charge?"
So many beginning - and even experienced - copywriters dread hearing those words.
You see, they know their potential client is probably talking to other copywriters.
So they are bidding for the project in a competitive situation, which means:
- If they charge too much, they'll lose the job - and they won't get the work they so desperately want and need to stay busy and profitable.
- If they charge too little, they'll work their tails off for little financial reward ... and never hit their income target.
Listen: you can be the greatest copywriter in the world. Or a terrific person. Or the most knowledgeable copywriter in your chosen niche.
But if you don't quote a fee the client can pay and is willing to pay, you won't get the assignment, period.
And quoting the right fee is difficult, because:
- You don't know what the client's budget is.
- You don't know what the client wants or expects to pay.
- You don't know what the job is really worth.
- You don't know what fees your competitors are quoting.
The good news is: now help is here to help you price every job right - so you:
- Accurately estimate the word length and work involved in each copywriting project.
- Don't under-price yourself by charging too little - and then losing money on the assignment.
- Don't quote a price that's so high the client will not hire you.
- Quote copywriting fees that are accurate, fair, and reasonable - fees that clients can pay and are willing to pay.
- Win more copywriting assignments more often because you've estimated and quoted the fee correctly.
An authoritative pricing guide
for freelance copywriters
Our big 259-page e-book, A Guide to Freelance Copywriting Fees, tells you what to charge for dozens of copywriting assignments ... and also the approximate word length of each, so you know how much to write.
In it, you will discover:
- What to charge to write a PowerPoint presentation. Page 154.
- The 2 biggest hurdles to freelance copywriting success and how to overcome each. Page 8.
- Proper format for typing video scripts. Page 158.
- Make up to $25,000 for a single direct mail promotion with bookalogs. Page 105.
- Get paid to help your clients market their products with social media. Page 161.
- The 10 most profitable copywriting niches - and how to get started in each. Page 15.
- What to charge to ghostwrite a blog. Page 163.
- The client asks you to write an 8-page booklet. How many words long should your Word document be? Page 106.
- What to charge to write ads for Facebook. Page 167.
- Best copywriting assignment for writers who don't like writing long copy. Page 22.
- What to charge to write a social media profile for your client. Page 170.
- How many words of copy must you write to fit a 24-page digest? Page 109.
- How to break into copywriting for a $162 billion market. Page 29.
- What to charge for direct mail copywriting. Page 110.
- How many words are in a 20-minute speech? Page 175.
- What to charge for writing a web site's home page. Page 180.
- Unbelievable opportunities for copywriters on the web. Page 33.
- Get up to $7,500 per assignment writing long-copy landing pages. Page 182.
- How much should you charge to write a simple flier? Page 112.
- What to charge to write a name squeeze page. Page 185.
- How to set - and get - the fees you deserve. Page 42.
- What to charge to write an SEO web page. Page 196.
- What to charge to write a lift note. Page 113.
- Bob Bly's current copywriting fee schedule. Page 239.
- 4 ways to increase your pay on web copywriting jobs. Page 198.
- The 4 most important factors to consider when determining what to charge your client. Page 43.
- 10 questions to ask before you agree to performance-based compensation for copywriting projects. Page 225.
- Consulting services easily add thousands of extra dollars to your project fees. Page 234.
- How you can charge thousands of dollars instead of hundreds when writing pay per click ad campaigns. Page 202.
- Correct word length per page for magalogs. Page 116.
- What to charge for writing e-commerce web sites. Page 208.
- 10 tips for increasing landing page conversion rates. Page 214.
- 4 steps to preparing for a copywriting assignment. Page 219.
- How to find out what your competitors are charging. Page 45.
- What size should your promotional postcard be? Page 118.
- A formula for setting your hourly rate. Page 49.
- What to charge for a renewal series. Page 120.
- Make up to $3,500 per page writing ads and advertorials. Page 58.
- What to charge for a 2-page sales letter. Page 122.
- Make your words big and write copy for billboards. Page 64.
- What to charge for a tri-fold self-mailer. Page 124.
- What to charge for banner ads ... e-newsletter ads ... and pay per click ads. Page 68.
- How to write a good advertisement. Page 73.
- What to charge for a tabloid mailing. Page 125.
- How much money can you charge to write an infomercial? Page 79.
- How much can you charge for a voucher mailing? Page 126.
- Writing short commercials for broadcast radio. Page 80.
- Strategies for improving your outer envelopes. Page 128.
- What to charge for writing 15 and 30-second TV commercials. Page 82.
- What to charge for auto-responder e-mails. Page 134.
- Get paid to ghostwrite articles for busy professionals. Page 84.
- What to charge for long copy e-mail marketing campaigns. Page 136.
- What to charge for writing an e-newsletter for your client. Page 86.
- Earn a thousand dollars a page writing sales brochures. Page 89.
- What to charge to write a media kit. Page 143.
- What to charge your clients to write a case study for them. Page 92.
- Make as much as $5,000 per assignment writing white papers. Page 94.
- What to charge to write a press release. Page 146.
- How to write effective catalog copy. Page 98. Plus: how to avoid writer's block. Page 102.
- What to charge to write a query letter. Page 150.
- How many words are in an 8-minute video script? Page 152.
- And much more.....
"I finished reading your guide to freelance copywriting fees: what to charge for dozens of writing assignments. It's excellent!" --Tony Ostian
"I have ordered and skimmed through this book. It is the last piece of the puzzle of becoming a freelance writer. Your book is just the impetus I need to put together a work plan and get going on this endeavor. Thank you, thank you, thank you." --Elna Wilke
Praise for Bob Bly's marketing
and business advice
"You are awesome! I will always come to you first for the products that I need. You have class, integrity, brilliance, naturally gifted, and you are second to none! I am impressed with and appreciate your prompt response."
"Once in a blue moon, you get the chance to meet a living legend, one of the great men who has shaped his chosen field. In my unending pursuit of powerful marketing, I came face-to-face with just such a man. Robert Bly is America's Top Copywriter and a genius marketer. He's authored over 70 books for McGraw Hill and others, and gets paid more per word than nearly every author in America. Like all great men, he is a teacher and mentor extraordinaire. He freely shares the secrets of turning marketing into money."
"Bob, your stuff is always so good that even though I'm retired now, I have to read it!"
"You are someone I've grown to admire greatly. You share your knowledge with and encourage people in achieving their dreams, trying new things, and learning tricks of the trade. It's a rare 'guru' in our world today who is thoughtful and kind enough to help up and comers find the path to success. In my opinion, you are the very best. I'm grateful to you."
"After considering a number of high-level marketing professionals and reflecting on the matter for several weeks, I made the decision to ask Bob Bly to share the stage with me for my Twin Keys to Wealth-Building Conference. The reason I chose Bob is because I am convinced that he can deliver more tangible value to conference attendees than any other marketing or Internet expert on the planet."
--Robert Ringer, best-selling author
"I love your e-mails. Read every single one of them as they come in."
--Dr. Paul Hartunian
"I have huge admiration for your work. You're one of the few guys out there selling real information -- and selling it at a reasonable price! I think what you're doing is head and shoulders above others."
"I receive so many e-mail offers -- too many -- but Bob always delivers a product worth having. The marketplace for writing and marketing products has become over-hyped; in that environment it's reaffirming to see that Bob continues to stand for a level of quality that matters -- and happily, at a price that works. "
"Thank you for sending out your e-mail newsletter. There hasn't been a single issue you've sent out that I didn't learn something."
"I have bought a lot of your info products. The price is the most reasonable of what anyone is asking for their info products, especially considering the information is more to the point and more valuable than 99.99% of what is out there on the Internet."
"I've used your material for years, but I decided to "save" money by waiting to try your "A Guide to Freelance Copywriting Fees." Big - and expensive - mistake. I've been billing about 20%-30% below what I should be... which means I've had to take on more projects to make less money, and I've had less time to spend on each project. I wish I would've had this sooner - it would've paid for itself five times over on my last assignment alone."
--Tony Z., B2C Copywriter and Marketing Consultant
Act now and save $30
The cover price of Freelance Copywriting Fees is a very reasonable $79 - and that's what it will be selling for later this year.
But for a limited time only, it's your for just $49 ... a $30 savings off the list price ... less than I charge for just 6 minutes of my time!
And that's your investment only if you agree with me 100% that Freelance Copywriting Fees has indeed given you the "keys to the kingdom" of becoming a successful six-figure copywriter.
If it doesn't, then it won't cost you a penny. Here's why....
Our 100% iron-clad
guarantee of satisfaction
I totally guarantee your satisfaction with our e-book, Freelance Copywriting Fees.
If you are unhappy for any other reason ... or for no reason at all ... just let me know within 90 days.
I'll give you a full and prompt refund. And you can keep the e-book with my compliments.
That way, you risk nothing.
But I urge you to hurry.
This special LOW PRICE of only $49 (a $30 discount) is for a limited time only.
And once it expires, it may never be repeated again.
So what are you waiting for?
To order Freelance Copywriting Fees on a 90-day risk-free trial basis, just click here now:
Robert W. Bly, Director
P.S. Order A Guide to Freelance Copywriting Fees today and you get a FREE Special Bonus Report, The Psychology of Selling and Marketing (list price: $29).
In this free 56-page report, you'll discover:
- What bear hunting can teach you about writing more powerful copy - page 2.
- The trouble with cold calling - page 48.
- Improve your copy with "experience-based empathy" - page 21.
- Selling the non-obvious benefit - page 28.
- How to lie with statistics - page 35.
- Are white papers dead? - page 37.
- What's wrong with direct marketing today - page 10.
- Selling must-have vs. nice-to-have products - page 5.
- The psychology of pricing - page 31.
- Writing great copy: where do you start - page 17.
- What Harry Potter can teach you about copywriting - page 14.
- Why a lot of knowledge is a dangerous thing when you sit down to write copy - page 25.
- And more....
Best of all, this bonus report - a $29 value -- is yours to keep FREE ... even if you request a refund on the e-book!
To order Guide to Freelance Copywriting Fees ... and get your FREE Special Report ... just click below now:
Bob Bly is a full-time freelance copywriter specializing in online, direct response, and b-to-b marketing. He earned more than $700,000 last year from his freelance writing, and became a self-made multi-millionaire while still in his 30s.
A copywriter for more than a quarter of a century, Bob has written promotions for over 100 clients including Phillips, Agora, KCI, 21st Century, Weiss Research, EBI Medical Systems, Sony, IBM, AT&T, Grumman, Crain Communications, McGraw-Hill, Intuit, and AlliedSignal.
Bob is the author of more than 70 books including The Copywriter's Handbook (Henry Holt) and Internet Direct Mail (NTC Business Books).
He has published more than 100 articles in such publications as Subscription Marketing, Direct, Business Marketing, Writer's Digest, and Amtrak Express.
Bob's writing awards include a Gold Echo from the Direct Marketing Association, an IMMY from the Information Industry Association, two Southstar Awards, an American Corporate Identity Award of Excellence, and the Standard of Excellence award from the Web Marketing Association. He also taught writing at New York University.
Bob has appeared as a guest on dozens of TV and radio shows including The Advertising Show, Bernard Meltzer, CNBC, and CBS Hard Copy. He has been featured in major media ranging from the LA Times and Nation's Business to the New York Post and the National Enquirer. He was a featured speaker at the 2006 annual conference of the National Speakers Association.
Around his 50th birthday, Bob started CTC Publishing, a small Internet information marketing business, with no products and no web sites. A few short years later, he has over 50 information products and five dozen web sites generating average daily passive income of over a thousand dollars.
about Bob Bly
"Good things are happening. I am getting a steady stream of Trial and Demo requests from the new site. These requestors are filling out the entire contact form. The site is simpler now, and I am still working to make it even more so. I appreciate your work."
—Jim Romano, DataForceOne
"Thank you so much for your wonderful work. It has been a pleasure working with you and I look forward to working with you on another project in the near future. You were always available, quick to answer questions and always exceeded my expectations. You truly are a gifted writer."
—Aaron Griffith, The Griffith
"Bob, again thanks for the great copy. You consistently help us reach customers with compelling, actionable content, when others just can't!"
—William McElleney, IBM
"The feedback keeps coming in and we all agree yours was a truly helpful, useful, insightful and effective workshop. You did a fantastic job inspiring the troops and we've already begun applying some of the key learnings."
—Paul Connors, Copywriting Manager, A large financial services company in the Chicago area
"Bob...your creative work, patience, and 'partnership' with us at IT Group has virtually propelled us to another level of business professionalism and recognition. The response we've received from your letters has been nothing short of tremendous. We've not only derived significant business from these unforgettable mailings--your efforts have sparked a creative energy within our ranks which will assist us in years to come. Thanks for your guidance and counsel."
—John A. Fallone, IT Group International
"I hired Bob on his reputation, and found it is well-deserved. His fact-finding process in preparation to write our copy was both painless and enlightening. The final deliverables were right on time as promised, and better than expected – which is saying a lot because my expectations were high. The first time I read his copy for our project, I literally got chills down my back – he nailed it the first time. Wow."
—Dennis Rosenberg, VP Marketing, VNUS Medical Technologies, Inc.
"Bob Bly did an amazing job with our company brochure. We are very impressed with his capacity to learn our product and to write copy so clearly and pointedly. Bob Bly is a great marketing investment."
—Michael Manoussos, Manhole Barrier Systems
"Great white paper! I'm in favor of the entire submission. Please congratulate Bob on a great effort."
—Michael C. Howard, Chasm Recovery
"Your Tax Loopholes ad looked great and is performing very well. Thanks for the strong copy."
—Brian Kurtz, Boardroom
"You did an excellent job. It's been a pleasure working with you on this project."
—Edward Brunet, Decatur Professional Development, LLC
"Thank you very, very much for doing such a great job on the ad. I was one of those folks who would read the ads in the DAK catalog by Drew Kaplan and this was as enjoyable for me as that."
—Chris Pickering, MeritDirect
"Bob . . . Just got the copy and advertisement you did for my new book . . . It's great! You are good! Great job . . . you have tremendous insights into what excites and what sells!"
—Don Libey, Libey Incorporated
"In my opinion, you are the best copywriter in the software industry."
—Judy MacDonald, Director of Marketing, Direct Response
"When I received the piece, I thought, I'll have to skim over it now and read it later. But, once I started, I couldn't stop! You did a GREAT job with Ken's story. I love it. It kept me reading. I'm VERY pleased with it."
—Craig Simpson, Ken Roberts Company
"Bob, It's been a pleasure to work with you!!! Thank you so much! I'm very happy with the copy; I feel it will give me good results."
—Alejandra P. Bigai, Romanicos Chocolate
"Thanks again for a great job."
—Davis Ross, Ross Advertising
"I just wanted to thank you again for the excellent work you did for us. You are the man and I can't tell you how much I admired your approach and service. Although I've never worked with a copywriter before, I think you set the standard pretty high. I look forward to working with you again. You certainly have my vote for the next round!"
—DP Jovine, Tycoon Research
"Great job – I'm always amazed at how you can boil the complex down into simple terms. It flows very well."
—Kyle Hodgens, Capital Financial Media
"Thank you for the copy. I see why you're the expert. It's so simple, it's brilliant."
—Sau Hyoung Pak, Big Machine
"The radio spots are very well done. I am very impressed with your work and copywriting expertise. We will be making the changes to the print ad as you suggested. In the future we may work with you to design a totally new print ad. Again I'd like to say I'm impressed with your services. You were prompt, informative, and definitely know your stuff. We will be recommending you to others and doing repeat business."
—Joshua Andrews, Health Solutions, LLC
"When people get to the promotion, the promotion has a good conversion rate. In one test, it actually had a 14% conversion to sale... can't ask for much better than that."
—David Galland, Casey Research
"I loved the ad! I don't see any reason for revision so I have already put through a check request for the balance I owe you on the ad. We are very excited about this one. I can't wait to see how it does. Thanks so much!"
—Alice Wessendorf, Agora Health Book
"I show off the work that we did on lead generation for negotiation -- as well as the conversion program from HMCL -- as big successes."
—Paul Szymanski, Harvard Business School Publishing
"Thank you for being very instrumental on making the launch of the wealth management book such a resounding success. It was so successful that we had to request more copies."
-Ingrid Boney, II
"Thanks, Bob! You are awesome to work with."
--Matt Morsa, Stock Secrets, Inc.
"I've spoken to a thousand copywriters over the years and Bob Bly is the best. He knows what he's doing."
--Joe Culotta, Natural Medicine Co.
"I am happy to report to you that your piece out produced the 4 other packages we tested against it. I want to talk to you about another project...."
--Nick Roumi, Pacific Coast Funding
"This is an outstanding letter. Really nice work!"
--Paul Szymanski, Harvard Business School Publishing
"Like the package ... the tone ... I think it's excellent."
--Bill Caskey, Caskey Sales Achievement
"We are very pleased with your copy approach because your copy seems to speak to the neurologist better than the copy in previous promotions. Moreover, your copy presses the sell better and more effectively. I really value your direct marketing copy capabilities and I'm thrilled to have you working with MedLink."
--Jim Chacona, MedLink
"Just wanted to take a moment to sincerely thank you for the hard work and energy you've poured into the Sinatra product package. You are a joy to work with."
--Gail Diggs, Phillips Health
"Thanks again... you did a great job."
--Caleb Cherry, Capital Financial Media
"You are a genius! I rarely love copy this much from the get-go. You hit it on the head!"
--Sara Pond, Nightingale-Conant
"The original ad insert of 'Wall Street's Loss is Your Gain' continues to kick butt -- pulls 12 to 15 subscriptions a week. Not bad for a $500 investment made 5 months ago."
--Charles Mizrahi, Stealth Stocks
"As a marketing professional, for 17 years I wrote my own promotional material. But I am not a professional copywriter. It wasn't until I took my own advice that I started getting the results I deserved. With Bob Bly, I got what I wanted - in the promised time frame - with re-writes - and the results I wanted. Thanks, Bob!"
--Mark Amtower, Amtower & Company
"I found your ad copy compelling, powerful ...even entertaining. You really communicated the 'feel' of the message we are selling. Thanks for such great work, Bob!"
--Ashley Earnhardt Aiken, Thomas Nelson Publishers
"Bob wrote the most ballsy ad in the history of Dynamic Changes and it set sales records this fall. People couldn't stop themselves from responding."
--Richard Scheffren, Dynamic Changes Hypnosis
"Last year you did all the copy on the What Would Jesus Eat brochure. It was wonderful and I believe is one of the reasons that the book continues to do so very well."
--Pamela Clements, Thomas Nelson Publishers
"Your work for me is outstanding."
--Thomas Massie, BRIDGELINE Software
"Your copy looks great. Thank you for the great job. I want you to know that one of the things I'm grateful for this year is meeting you and developing a relationship which is beneficial to both of us."
--Jack McDonough, U.S. Tax Corporation
"A special thanks to Bob for doing a superb job and making this work so well. I felt like a brilliant puppet in your hands."
--Michael Masterson, AWAI
"Even though he refuses to admit it, Bob is THE Direct Marketing guru ... or, at the very least, he's mine."
--Jill Perri, American Consultants League
"Great copy! I love it!"
--Marlene Jensen, The Newsletter Group
"You've done great work with this package. I'm sure it wasn't easy doing all of the research to get all of the facts you've assembled. I learned things reading this package and I think for tech investors, this level of detail and fact finding provides a lot of credibility. I think it's a winner."
--Porter Stansberry, Porter Stansberry's Investment Advisory
"The postcard copy is super!"
--Gary Yondol, Media Planet
"Bob's ad is doing great!"
--Kusko, Dynamic Changes Hypnosis
"Thanks Bob. I appreciate all your work."
--Paul Goldberg, PJ Promotions
"I am thrilled with your package, it is doing great - will roll out as the control."
--Chris Gast, Intuit
"Your package for AWAI's desktop design course won the test, outperforming our other package by over 50%."
--Katie Yeakle, AWAI
"Just wanted to let you know that as of today we have a 13.5% response (orders, not just click-throughs) for Stealth Stocks from the e-mail you wrote for us."
--Gary Mizrahi, Stealth Stock
"Great job on the Turnaround Report; it's been a huge success. We've had an incredible product launch, with hundreds of free trials in the first week."
--Marc Stockman, TheStreet.com
"We received the letter. Our first and probably lasting impression is great. Paul is usually very skeptical but he really likes it. I know we want to stick with the first impression. It looks like it may be perfect. We are very impressed."
--Frank Lardino, Investors Alliance
"Just to let you know we have been using your 8 ways letter and brochure that you did for us last year with great success. We decided to double our monthly direct mailing. Things are really taking off. I can only attribute that to our increased direct mail program. Thank you for helping us get an effective package together."
--Ray Hardee, Engineered Software, Inc.